The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport is helping SMEs upgrade their business broadband connectivity through this new programme. The Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme supports the cost of installing full fibre broadband connections direct to businesses for the fastest and most reliable gigabit-capable broadband speeds available.
Through the scheme SMEs can claim up to £3,000 against the cost of full fibre connection, either individually or as part of a group project. Residents can also benefit from the scheme as part of a group project and can claim for a voucher of £500.
Businesses in rural locations which meet the following criteria can use vouchers to support the cost of installing new gigabit-capable connections when part of a group project.
- Existing broadband speeds are less than 100Mbps
- A gigabit capable network isn’t likely to be built to that area commercially in the near future
- There is no government-funded contract planned or in place to improve the network already
Group projects are when two or more eligible businesses get together to combine their vouchers towards the shared cost of installation. Single connections are not eligible for the scheme.
How to apply
The scheme is only accessible through broadband service providers who have registered to be part of the scheme, so businesses/community groups interested in benefitting from a voucher should:
- Check whether they are eligible for a voucher here.
- Then check whether there are registered suppliers in the area using the postcode search here. (Businesses/community groups can also talk to existing suppliers to see if they are participating in the scheme.)
Vouchers are issued to the supplier only to offset the cost of installation to your premises.
For full details about eligibility, to find a full fibre broadband supplier or read some case studies, click “Find out more” below.Find out more