Business Growth Fund (BGF) is an investment company that provides growth capital for ambitious entrepreneurs running growing UK companies.
At its simplest, the growth capital they provide is long-term, patient equity funding that businesses use to execute their strategic plans.
The fund has already backed over 300 companies across all stages and sectors of the economy, so they have the insight and experience to help you pursue growth opportunities, providing flexible funding, fresh thinking and useful introductions.
BGF is a local investor. With 16 offices across the UK and Ireland, they are close to the companies and teams they support. They also work to create contemporary spaces for networking, dinners, meetings and more. Today, investee companies use their office network to host everything from customer events to training days and media launches.
What they offer
- Equity share is typically between 10-40%
- The company remains in control with BGF acting as a junior partner alongside management teams and shareholder
- Initially invest between £1m and £15m, with significant follow-on funding as required
- No exit deadlines or drag rights – exits are driven by the shareholders, not BGF
- A mix of equity and loan notes for growth and/or cash out to existing shareholders
What they look for when providing funding:
BGF invest in a range of companies, from earlier stage SMEs of £1m revenues, to those with £100m+ revenues, and across all sectors. They are looking for:
- Management teams with a good track record, a proven business model and a desire to grow
- Either privately owned or AIM-listed, profitable companies typically with a turnover of £1m–£100m
- Open to all business sectors with the exception of regulated financial services