The NHS COVID Pass lets members of the public share their coronavirus vaccination records or COVID-19 test status in a safe and secure way.
From Monday 19 July, some businesses may require visitors/customers aged 18 and over to demonstrate their COVID-19 status as a condition of entry to a venue or event. Children under 18 do not have to demonstrate their COVID-19 status for entry to domestic events or venues in England.
When should businesses use the NHS COVID-19 Pass?
The government has recently announced that businesses in England can use the NHS COVID Pass.
Use of the NHS COVID Pass is voluntary for individual organisations. However, government is encouraging the use of the NHS COVID Pass in settings where people are likely to be in close proximity to a large number of people from other households for a sustained period of time.
- crowded indoor settings such as nightclubs and music venues
- large unstructured outdoor events such as business events and festivals
- very large structured events such as business events, music and spectator sport events.
Who can access the NHS COVID-19 Pass?
Anyone aged 18 and over in England can request an NHS COVID-19 pass for use domestically if one of the following applies:
- Two weeks after completing a full course of vaccination, whether that requires two doses or one dose (that is, two doses of the Moderna, AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccine, or one dose of the Janssen vaccine) (according to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency authorised schedule)
- With evidence of a negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or rapid lateral flow test taken within 48 hours of entry to a venue, with both at-home and on-site (where available) being accepted. A lateral flow test taken at home will need to be reported into the public reporting system.
- With proof of natural immunity shown by a positive PCR test result for COVID-19, lasting for 180 days from the date of the positive test and following completion of the self-isolation period.
- Some exceptions do apply.
How to get your NHS COVID-19 Pass in England?
- Through the NHS App (please note, this is a different app to the NHS COVID-19 app)
You can access your NHS COVID Pass through the free NHS App on a smartphone or tablet. Proof of your COVID-19 status is shown within the NHS App. You need to be registered with a GP in England to use the NHS App.
- Through the NHS website
- By calling 119
Select the ‘NHS COVID Pass service’ to request a letter be sent to your home.