Eight things to check if you export goods to the EU

Are you one of the 4,800 businesses in the North East that export goods to the EU? If so you need to check the following eight things to make sure you can keep exporting after Brexit.

1.    Make sure your business has an EORI number that starts with GB

You’ll need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number starting with GB to continue exporting goods.

Here’s Neil Warwick, Partner at Square One Law and EU law specialist, explaining more.

2.    Check that your importer has an EORI number that starts with EU

Your importer will need an EU EORI number.

You’ll need to get an EU EORI number if you’re exporting to your own business within the EU. You can get one from the customs authority in any EU country.

3.    Decide who will make the export declarations

You can hire someone to deal with customs for you, or you can do it yourself.

Find out how to hire someone to make customs declarations for you

Find out how to make customs declarations yourself

4.    Decide if you want to export your goods using transit

You may be able to use the Common Transit Convention (CTC) to simplify how your goods pass through customs and when your importer pays customs duties.

Find out if you can use the CTC

5.    Check the rate of tax and duty for your goods

Your importer will need to pay tax and duty on your goods after Brexit. This will depend on the classification of the goods.

Find a commodity code to classify your goods and look up duty rates, reliefs and quotas

6.    Check what you need to do for the type of goods you export

There might be other things you need to do, depending on what you’re exporting.

Check if you’ll need to apply for an export licence

Check the rules for exporting alcohol, tobacco and certain oils

Check the rules for exporting controlled goods like firearms

7.    Find out how changes to VAT will impact you

Find out how you’ll claim VAT refunds from EU countries

Find out how you’ll pay VAT if you sell digital services to EU customers

8.    Decide who will transport your goods outside of the UK

You can hire someone to transport your goods, or you can do it yourself.

Find out how to transport goods outside the UK yourself

If you have any questions about the above or would like further information please contact the Brexit Enquiries Line:

Imports and exports: Brexit enquiries line
Telephone: 0300 3301 331
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Find out about call charges