6 steps to keep importing after Brexit

Follow these 6 steps to make sure you can keep importing after Brexit

Last year £14 billion worth of goods were imported into the North East. If you are one of those businesses that rely on imports, follow these steps to ensure you’re prepared for Brexit.

This is a list of what you need to do now to make sure you’re able to receive goods from the EU, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. If you’re exporting goods please see our guidance here.

1. Make sure your business has an EORI number that starts with GB
You’ll need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number starting with GB to continue importing goods.
Here’s Neil Warwick, Partner at Square One Law and EU law specialist, explaining more.

2. Decide who will make the import declarations
You can hire someone to deal with customs for you, or you can do it yourself.

Find out how to hire a customs agent to make declarations for you

Find out how to make customs import declarations yourself

Find out how to make declarations for goods in baggage or a small vehicle

3. Apply to make importing easier 
You can apply to use ‘transitional simplified procedures’ to reduce the amount of information you need to give at the border.

Register for transitional simplified procedures

Decide what other customs procedures you could use

You may also be able to use the Common Transit Convention (CTC) to simplify how your goods pass through customs and when you pay customs duties.

Find out if you can use CTC

4. Set up a duty deferment account if you import regularly
Set up a duty deferment account if you want to be able to make one payment of customs duties a month instead of paying for individual shipments.

You must set one up if you plan to use transitional simplified procedures.

Set up a duty deferment account

5. Check the rate of tax and the duty you’ll need to pay

You’ll need to pay customs duties and VAT on all imports.

Find out the rate of customs on imports after Brexit

Check when you’ll need to account for and pay VAT

You’ll also need to pay excise duties if you’re importing alcohol, tobacco or biofuels.

Find out the rate of excise duty on imports

6. Check if you need a licence or certificate for the type of goods you import

Check if you’ll need to apply for an import licence or certificate


If you have any questions about the above or would like further information please contact the Brexit Enquiries Line:

Imports and exports: Brexit enquiries line

Telephone: 0300 3301 331

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Find out about call charges