Newcastle Startup Week (15-19 May 2017)

Created by user lordlancaster, 8 months ago

Last updated 02/12/2016 15:52

Hi everyone, In case you hadn't seen or heard about it, I'm organising a 5-day, citywide and multi-venue 'Newcastle Startup Week' festival between 15-19 May 2017 which you can read about at http://newcastlestartupweek.com We have lots of amazing speakers, practical talks, masterclasses, panel discussions, networking & night time events lined up on each of the days so if you're just thinking of starting a business, have recently started or are already up and running and looking to scale there'll be something for you. Here's the latest blog/press release announcing our first venue and speakers... NEWCASTLE STARTUP WEEK (15-19 MAY 2017) – FIRST VENUE & SPEAKERS ANNOUNCED From the world’s first lightbulb to cloud computing and smart data, the ‘test bed city’ of Newcastle has been inventing the future for hundreds of years. Building on this rich history of innovation and invention, ‘Newcastle Startup Week’ is an exciting new festival of entrepreneurship taking place over 5 days between 15-19 May 2017 with the aim of inspiring more local people to start a business and attract greater inward investment to the city and wider North East region. Organised by Dynamo North East’s ‘Collaborator of the Year’ award winner Paul Lancaster (Plan Digital UK) with support from the North East LEP, Federation of Small Businesses, Sage, Blu Sky Tax, GP Bullhound and more, the week-long event will begin with a celebration of local business success stories of the past, present and future at Robert Stephenson & Co’s recently-refurbished BOILER SHOP behind Central Station, followed by a series of events at multiple venues across the city to help people go from business idea to launch in just 5 days. Chi Onwurah (Labour MP for Newcastle Central & Shadow Minister for Industrial Strategy) said: “Newcastle has a long and proud history of innovation and invention which has kickstarted new industries that have benefited people all around the world. Newcastle Startup Week is therefore an opportunity to celebrate our success stories of the past, present and future and showcase the wide range of help and support available which will inspire more women and men to start and grow their business in the city, create jobs and attract inward investment to the region.” Colin Bell (Director of Business Growth, North East LEP) said: “We’re delighted to be sponsoring this exciting new event which will inspire people to scale their business and show that the North East of England is a fantastic place to grow and prosper.” Simon Hanson (North East Development Manager, Federation of Small Businesses) said: “The North East is the best place in the world to start up and grow a business. There has been a real entrepreneurial renaissance across the region with an extra 15,000 businesses being started in the past year. Newcastle Startup Week will showcase the superb startups we have in the city, demonstrate the huge ambitions we have in becoming a testbed city and be a beacon for investment. FSB is delighted to be backing this event and helping the city meet its ambitions.” Jon Dudgeon (Director & Co-Founder, Blu Sky Tax) said: “As soon as Paul mentioned he was planning a whole week of startup events in Newcastle, team Blu Sky got really excited and there was no hesitation about getting involved! This week is a great opportunity for the region to showcase how strong our entrepreneurial spirit is and to learn from those founders who have already launched and succeeded in building exciting, growing businesses. Bring on May 2017, it’s going to great fun!” Ed Prior (Analyst, GP Bullhound) said: “We are delighted to be supporting Newcastle Startup Week as the region has a strong history of innovation and producing high quality, sustainable businesses which are vital in supporting the local economy and wider tech ecosystem. We hope that the week long programme of events focussing on different aspects of the business lifecycle can assist early stage business owners in growing their businesses as well as providing inspiration to the next generation of entrepreneurs. It’s for this reason that we are also looking forward to hosting the Northern Tech Awards in Newcastle in March 2017 which celebrates and brings together the Top 50, high growth tech businesses in the North of England.” Find out more at http://newcastlestartupweek.com and then ‘register your interest’ for ongoing updates on venues, speakers and tickets.

rich1112 replied (8 months ago)

Paul, let us know what Transmit Start-Ups can do to help, before and during the week. Rich

lordlancaster replied (8 months ago)

Last updated 02/12/2016 16:27

rich1112 said:

Paul, let us know what Transmit Start-Ups can do to help, before and during the week. Rich

Thanks Rich, I definitely want you guys involved and got an email from Mark yesterday so will reply soon with what I have in mind :)

Enquiries1175 replied (6 months ago)

Hi, is this event aimed at businesses trading in Newcastle only?

I'm based in Durham and I can't see whether this is arranged BY Newcastle FOR Newcastle or if the surrounding regions are also invited to attend.

Thanks

Su

lordlancaster replied (6 months ago)

Enquiries1175 said:

Hi, is this event aimed at businesses trading in Newcastle only?

I'm based in Durham and I can't see whether this is arranged BY Newcastle FOR Newcastle or if the surrounding regions are also invited to attend.

Thanks

Su

Hi Su, I've called it 'Newcastle Startup Week' simply because all the events take place in Newcastle city centre but the event is aimed at anyone who wants to start (or grow) a business in the North East of England.

There's also an inward investment angle to the event as we're trying to attract people from outside the region to invest money, do business with people here, open a 2nd office or re-locate and rightly or wrongly, Newcastle is the most well-known city in the region. We already have people from Durham and surrounding areas attending so please do come too. Don't let the name put you off, Paul

lordlancaster replied (1 month ago)

In case you hadn't heard, our first 'Newcastle Startup Week' festival was a great success with over 600 attendees across the week!

Here's a little blog I wrote about the North East LEP's support for the event and for the 1-day 'Newcastle Scaleup Summit' we're running at Live Theatre on 23rd November http://www.nelep.co.uk/newcastle-startup-week-newcastle-scaleup-summit/

Hope you find it interesting & that you join us in November!

Paul Lancaster
(aka @lordlancaster)
Founder & Event Producer
Newcastle Startup Week +
Newcastle Scaleup Summit

chris.tradgett140 replied (4 days ago)

Any dates planned for next year - make sure I'm not away anywhere next time! 

thanks

Chris

lordlancaster replied (3 days ago)

chris.tradgett140 said:

Any dates planned for next year - make sure I'm not away anywhere next time! 

thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, we've already provisionally booked our venues to run 'Newcastle Startup Week' on 14th-18th May 2018 although we are considering pushing it back a week to 21st-25th so it's the week after Northumbria University students' exams. It'll be one of these weeks definitley.

In the meantime, do you not fancy going to our 'Newcastle Scaleup Summit' on 23rd November? The lineup is looking really solid with a few more great speakers to announce soon.

Guest user

1-8 of 8