The University of Sunderland’s Graduate Internship Scheme can provide regional SME’s with a cost effective approach to recruiting graduate talent for a 12 month period. Part funded by the European Regional Development Fund, and managed by the University’s Employment Services Team, the team work closely with the organisations to support the internship from role development, sourcing the graduate, supporting the recruitment and selection process, as well as being a point of contact for the organisation and the graduate throughout the internship period.
If eligible, the organisation will receive funding towards the graduate’s salary. The scheme will support 130 SME’s, one graduate internship per company. The company will pay a minimum of £18,000 per annum to their successful graduate and the scheme will offer £375 a month of funding over a 9 month period towards the graduate’s salary totalling £3,375 over the 9 months. The funding will be paid every third month upon receipt of the monthly financial evidence received from the organisation which totals to three single payments of £1,125.
As the GIS is through ERDF, there is a very strict process which we have to follow in terms of the eligibility check and the recruitment process.
• Private sector
• Has received less than €200,000 in De Minimis funding in the last three years
• The company must have a trading arm or generate an income
• At the time of the organisation applying for the scheme, and at the point of the recruitment process, the graduate must not be an existing employee of the organisation
• Completion of the Registration Form to check eligibility
• Once confirmed, the company completes the Business Proposal Document outlining in detail the main skills and competencies of the role
• The team use the detail to write the advert and role profile, approved by the company
• The position is advertised through all university channels
• All applications are sent to the organisation to short list
• The team then organise all interviews and manage the recruitment process
• The successful candidate is offered the internship, and completes the Equality and Diversity form
• The company completes the graduates contract and sends a copy to the team, as well as the Financial Commitment Form detailing their bank details
• Copies of the graduate’s payslip and a bank statement are sent in monthly
• Completion of additional forms including Product Review Form, the Employer Increase Form and the Jobs Created Form
Apply online here.